HISTORY

The Guild of Colonial Artisans and Tradesmen 1607-1783 was founded on 06 May 2004 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The concept was conceived by Founder Karen Avery Miller (Mrs. H. Clay Miller). Mrs. Miller felt there was a need in the hereditary community for an organization that focused on honoring Colonial ancestral artisans. She shared her thoughts and plans with a group of friends gathered together to research at the LDS Family History Library. Mutual interest gave rise to serious effort and determination, and the group began immediate plans to form a new lineage society, the Guild of Colonial Artisans and Tradesmen 1607-1783.

The Founding Executive Council and members of a Founding Advisory Council were invited to serve at the discretion of Mrs. Miller. The Founding Officers of the Society were: Karen Avery Miller, President General; Barbara Roberts Baylis, First Vice President General; Laurie Goggan Wharton, Second Vice President General; Karen E. McClendon, Recording Secretary General; Al'Louise Suthers Ramp, Corresponding Secretary General; Mary Reid Goss Warner, Treasurer General; Jeannine Sheldon Kallal, Registrar General; Mary Nelson "Nell" Moss White, Chaplain General. Members of the Founding Advisory Council were the Rev. Dr. Dixon A. Barr; Lloyd DeWitt Bockstruck; Helen Pairsh Brooks; David Carline Smith.

An organizational meeting was held in Dallas, Texas in June 2004. The founding term of office was set for three years, at the end of which time the Advisory Council would be dissolved and the first election of officers held. All officers thereafter would be elected for two year terms. By late July 2004, Bylaws were compiled and the services of an attorney were obtained to apply for incorporation in the State of Texas. Invitations to Charter Membership were extended to family, friends and individuals active in the hereditary community on 01 September 2004.

In January 2005, the Guild's website was posted and the first issue of the Guild Gazette Newsletter was distributed. The Guild's insignia was designed and drawn by the Founder and created by CityPride Jewelers of Jenkintown, PA. The official insignia was revealed at the Society's First Annual Meeting on 14 April 2005, Mayflower Hotel, Washington, D.C. In attendance for the business meeting and champagne reception were 42 Charter members and 3 guests. Charter membership ended as of 01 April 2005 with 12 Founding members and 117 Charter members. The Guild was granted 501(c)(3) Federal Tax Exemption in 2006.

The Guild continues to meet annually at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington D.C. each April. It also continues to annually select an organization that relates closely to the Guild's purposes and objectives as the recipient of a charitable donation. As of April 2013, Guild members have submitted a total of #1463 papers (applications and supplementals) on Colonial ancestors with trades.. Membership is by invitation and is extended to those who are direct descendants of Colonial artisan ancestors. Membership inquiries are most welcome.

 

home | about | events | membership | projects | reference

copyright ©2004 , Guild of Colonial Artisans & Tradesmen
All rights reserved.